Historic Route 66 > Forum > Travel

Route 66 land for sale includes old landmark

General discussion on traveling Route 66. Ask here when to go, how long it takes, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, what not to miss etc.

Route 66 land for sale includes old landmark

Postby Maj. Nelson » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:18 pm

I found this on Ebay last night. The land is right on old 66 but its interesting to me because supposedly the land you are buying has the old Desert Trading post on it.

http://tinyurl.com/bstlm9
Maj. Nelson
Roadie
Roadie

Re: Route 66 land for sale includes old landmark

Postby Maj. Nelson » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:28 pm

Here is a pic of the building past and present. Its on a cover of the book "Route 66 Lost and Found"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... ooks&img=0
Maj. Nelson
Roadie
Roadie

Postby La Regina » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:14 am

Wow now that's something. I wish I had the money. My friend and I talked about buying a piece of land and have our own little roadside attraction, when we drove Route 66. Mostly jokingly but a tad interested am I. But no dough. :(
I hope it goes to someone who cares about Route 66 and who can make the trading post more visible. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Image Drove the 2440 miles in Fall 2007
La Regina
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby Maj. Nelson » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:48 pm

I rarely visit the RT. 66 Yahoo Group, but today I went to see if it was mentioned there. Turns out they have been discussing this for almost 10 days now.

They are even trying to pool together the money and buy it as a group.

reserve is $45,000
Maj. Nelson
Roadie
Roadie

Postby La Regina » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:58 am

That's a good plan. I would consider that!
Image Drove the 2440 miles in Fall 2007
La Regina
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby NickRose1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:43 pm

Thats surely an interesting find. I kinda wondered what the inside of that place looked like. I think they photoshopped the graffiti off the front though. Hopefully, someone who appreciates the history of that area bought it. :|
NickRose1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TheEditor » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:39 am

At the moment there have been 49 bids, and the highest is $30,766.99, but not surprisingly, the reserve remains unmet.

Interesting that the deal includes 91 acres about a mile south of the Petrified Forest and that the property is bisected by Route 66. On the negative side, its description of the historic building doesn't sound encouraging:

"Subject has an abandoned, and mostly destroyed, store that appears to be located at the south edge of the property fronting Route 66, but would add no value, regardless, as it is in the process of falling down."

Don't expect much else as part of the deal: "Walking the property revealed only dirt, scrub brush, and an old abandoned car frame. As such, the property will be valued as vacant, unimproved land."

Sure would be nice if someone who cares about history would buy it, as the person describing it obviously regards the building as little more than an eyesore. Maybe it can still be saved after all.
"Kick out your motor and drive
While you're still alive,
Kick it out!"

— Heart, "Kick It Out"
TheEditor
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby 66cruiser » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:44 am

66cruiser
Road warrior
Road warrior

Postby Maj. Nelson » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:53 am

They tried to get 45 grand the first time and the bidding only got up to 30 something, now the listing is for 100 grand ?!!!

They have definitely made the old desert trading post a big part of the auction this time.

Interesting.
Maj. Nelson
Roadie
Roadie

Postby TheEditor » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:22 pm

Reminds me of the TV program "Antiques Roadshow" ... someone comes in with a big painting that they got at a yard sale for $2 because it was just a bunch of squiggly lines on a canvas.

Then the new owner takes a closer look and notices the signature -- hmm, "Pica"-something ... oh, is that an "sso" at the end?

In this case, however, the revelation has occurred before the sale. The current owner of this property has just discovered that the "abandoned, and mostly destroyed, store" that is "in the process of falling down" may have nearly as much or more value than the rest of the dusty acreage that he's trying to peddle on the Internet. (If he's selling 91 acres at that price, you can bet it ain't prime farmland, oceanfront property or a Grand Canyon overlook.)

So now, suddenly, it's a "Great opportunity to buy a large piece of the American Great History"! I guess that's capitalism -- i.e., supply and demand -- in action.

Still, I have my doubts that it'll make any difference in the bids he receives for his property. I tend to think that the people who were interested in the land for the historic Painted Desert Trading Post have already weighed in, and if they couldn't scrape together $45,000, they're not going to be able to raise $100,000.
"Kick out your motor and drive
While you're still alive,
Kick it out!"

— Heart, "Kick It Out"
TheEditor
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby swa » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:51 pm

For any commercial use the property is rather useless: hard to reach -if it rains odds are you can't get there in a normal car-, the road dead-ends just a bit further (The Painted Desert National Park blocks the old Route 66 alignment), ...

Also reading up on Apache county, there are certain weeds you can get forced to remove in the county. Owning the potential of 91 acres of bad weeds might be not so attractive. Add in the liability of owning a collapsing building that attracts a visitor or two every so often.

So IMHO while there is historic value and value to safeguard, preserve and restore the old trading post, the current owner is going to find out that the historic value won't translate in dollars when trying to sell property.
swa
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby pettits5 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:35 pm

the land even with the building is only worth a few hundred dollars an acre. $30,000.00 the high bid was very generous just my opinion
pettits5
Roadie
Roadie

Postby Thumper872 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:55 pm

Yeah the winning bid was $36,400. I guess not bad for 91 acres in Arizona but I bet they would have gotten it cheaper if they would've waited a little while for prices to fall even more. That old building looks like it's ready to fall over.
Thumper872

Postby papacheesy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:29 am

Update on this- saw the Trading Post property is back on sale for.... A MILLION DOLLARS?>!

http://www.landandfarm.com/property/Pai ... t_-340240/
papacheesy
Road warrior
Road warrior

Postby RoadsRediscovered » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:32 am

"RV Park"? "similar ventures"? "CASH MACHINE"?!

G.D. opportunistic land developers and speculators! :evil: It's this attitude that threatens the integrity of any great place, especially one of exceptional beauty like the Painted Desert. The primitive is intimate — that's a big part of the draw for historic highway aficionados like many of us here. Yes, everyone has to make a living, but when it comes down to it, most money is no more than numbers in a computer or on a sheet of paper.
Visit me at Fair Oaks Pharmacy and Soda Fountain or 66 to Cali
Enthusiast of old roads of all sorts
RoadsRediscovered
Road warrior
Road warrior

Next

Return to Travel