Historic Route 66 > Forum > Travel

Walking across the USA on Route 66

General discussion on traveling Route 66. Ask here when to go, how long it takes, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, what not to miss etc.

Walking across the USA on Route 66

Postby ScottHallock » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:10 pm

I am planning to walk across the United States in 2012 when I retire from the LAPD. I live is Calif so I thought I'd start walking from Ocean City Maryland on Route 50 to Chicago and then take Route 66 all the way into Santa Monica Calif. I really want to see all of Route 66 and enjoy every bit of it.
I'd like to know from all you Route 66 Veterans if walking the famous route is safe or what type of problems I'll need to look out for. I will have a motor home following me so if there are any long stretches of nothing I'll be ok. I'd appreciate any insight or advice.

Thank you,

Scott
ScottHallock
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Walking across the USA on Route 66

Postby JNB » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:06 pm

My two cents worth. :lol:

I think you'd be OK as long as you have someone in a vehicle following along with you.

The biggest challenge I see (IMHO) is crossing the Mojave Desert. I have usually crossed the desert as well as the more pleasant parts of the Route in the comfort of an air-conditioned car so I'm not an authority on the subject other than just as an observer. From my observations it looks as if it would be fairly pleasant as far as walking goes until you get west of the Oklahoma-Texas State Line.
If Route 66 is your avenue -
Don't miss a chat
Where is that at ?
Mister Delbert Trew !

And for the heights of "O's"
Of your days and nights
Remember the Delgadillo's !

You can take your picks,
But you can get your kicks
On Route Sixty-Six !
JNB
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby swa » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:30 am

There have been people walking and even running Route 66 all the way solo. I'm not encouraging it as from the reports it is easy to get in trouble.

The unsafe parts are mainly the "unavoidable" Interstate stretches (might not even be legal to try it in the first place). Getting "close" to an 18 wheeler passing you while doing 75mph isn't fun, even if they can/would take care not to get too close to you.
Similarly or possibly even worse are stretches of old 66 that are still busy 4 lane roads today.

Weather is a serious concern, esp. in the desert as you cannot carry enough water to survive, so make sure you keep the support vehicle real close to you when in the Mohave.

Route 66 goes through a large cross section of cities around the US, while one cannot say all neighborhoods are fully safe, there's but one place I'd really avoid: part of East Saint Louis (south of I-55 and west of I-64). For the rest, when out there, you could always run into a territorial dog, a nutcase etc. but I think traffic and the lack of sidewalks is your biggest concern.

Still you can get mugged as you leave your house just as well, and we all go out every so often regardless.

Most locals you'll meet are friendly towards travelers and will help out those walking or cycling Route 66, esp. when they lack a support vehicle.
swa
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby TheEditor » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:49 am

I can say with certainty that many, if not all, interstate highways prohibit ALL pedestrian traffic -- period.

Obviously I'm no expert on every interstate that parallels Route 66, but if the prohibition applies in states like Arizona and New Mexico, it could be very difficult to find a good alternative route. It's not as if you can walk for miles along the outside of the fence that borders the highway, and in some cases, Route 66 actually became the interstate.

So ... while it might be fun to walk along parts of the Mother Road, I too would discourage trying to cover the entire route on foot. You could put yourself at risk of being robbed (or worse) in the remote areas, not to mention parts of the big cities.

Instead, maybe you could drive Route 66 and do some hiking in places like the Painted Desert park.
"Kick out your motor and drive
While you're still alive,
Kick it out!"

— Heart, "Kick It Out"
TheEditor
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby JNB » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:45 am

You could put yourself at risk of being robbed (or worse) in the remote areas, not to mention parts of the big cities.

Not to mention some of the smaller towns. I understand there are parts of Route 66 in Gallup, New Mexico where it's not advisable to be on foot. I drove from El Rancho to the AMTRAK Station and there were what appeared to be some vicious looking "junk yard dogs" along the way.

It has been covered in previous threads, but on second thought (to my previous posting) it is generally agreed that walking or bicycling Route 66 is definitely not recommended. Hate to dump cold water on your project, but I would advise re-thinking it.
Don't miss a chat
Where is that at ?
Mister Delbert Trew !

Of your days and nights

You can take your picks,
On Route Sixty-Six !
JNB
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby ZERAVLA » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:49 pm

Forget about Route 66 and go via the American Discovery Trail you will be much happier with this route. Check out theire website at http://www.discoverytrail.org/

Cya....Rocky
ZERAVLA
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JNB » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:50 am

Forget about Route 66 and go via the American Discovery Trail you will be much happier with this route. Check out theire website at http://www.discoverytrail.org/

Cya....Rocky

I think the same could be said about Route 66 in general itself ....Or at least after you've driven,walked, biked or by whatever means you have traveled Route 66 once you should discover that there are other much more interesting routes in and across the U.S..
Don't miss a chat
Where is that at ?
Mister Delbert Trew !

Of your days and nights

You can take your picks,
On Route Sixty-Six !
JNB
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby NewMexicoOutdoor » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:31 pm

My question would be..why starting in OC-Md..which I know very well!

First problem 100 miles into that would be, if you're not on target with the Bay Walk day..you can't walk across tha Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

Just from OC to ChiTown'll be multiple marathons! BUT..I know lots of people along the way in Md-DC (yes 50 runs into DC) ..Ohio ..Illinois ..who'd come pick you up and letcha spend a night or two..incl us here in NM!!

How bout if you were to, everywher you stopped for a rest, get on the internet and fish for a ride thru the non walking spots ... like Amarillo, Tx! :)~Specially for JNB who'd wanna admit that even Amarillo has it's junk yard dawgs!

If you'd gimme heads up a week before..I'll even persoanlly scout your route out for you here in NM!! Dan
NewMexicoOutdoor
Road warrior
Road warrior

Postby JNB » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:26 pm

For anyone evening thinking about walking Route 66, I would recommend an aerial survey via googlemaps.com :!:

I would say a Harley Hog would be the smallest modus transportus recommendus. :lol:

~Specially for JNB who'd wanna admit that even Amarillo has it's junk yard dawgs!

You'll probably find junk yard dawgs in any town of any size on Route 66. They just seemed to be a bit more vocal in Gallup .

Just from OC to ChiTown'll be multiple marathons!

Walking from OC to ChiTown would probably be a piece a' cake compared to farther west.
Don't miss a chat
Where is that at ?
Mister Delbert Trew !

Of your days and nights

You can take your picks,
On Route Sixty-Six !
JNB
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby NewMexicoOutdoor » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:02 pm

Many of Robert Mirabal's songs (he's a great story teller) include stuff about the Pueblo Dogs!

We had some friends in a few weeks ago..who wanted to visit some pueblos here in North Central NM. We brought our beloved "Heeler" ..Ruby!

We went to 3 pueblos and there were 3 dog fights!! One in which a 4 lb "PitBull"-esque dog actually gang tackled my wife!!! :)~It was kinda hilarious..but for..if I hadn't actually lunged at the dog..I'm afraid my wfie'd givin him her throat!

I recommend NOT taking pet dogs to pueblos! Those pueblo dogs protect thier turf! Dan
NewMexicoOutdoor
Road warrior
Road warrior

Postby JNB » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:28 pm

Tip to would be Route 66 walkers.:

If you want to do this from the comfort of your PC, you can go to googlemaps.com "sattelite views" and do "helicopter tours" of Route 66 and in some cases you even can go to "street views" and do some "virtual walking down Route 66" with your mouse.

Hint:Use "show labels" to keep track of your location. :D
Don't miss a chat
Where is that at ?
Mister Delbert Trew !

Of your days and nights

You can take your picks,
On Route Sixty-Six !
JNB