Historic Route 66 > Forum > Travel

Chicago to Oklahoma City

General discussion on traveling Route 66. Ask here when to go, how long it takes, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, what not to miss etc.

Chicago to Oklahoma City

Postby Steve-Maine » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Last summer we took Route 66 from Gallup to Ca. Line and Back to Oklahoma City.
This summer we are going from Chicago to Oklahoma City. Is there as much to see on this part as in the South. thanks
Steve-Maine
Roadie
Roadie

Postby route66news » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:24 am

I hate to compare to two stretches. But I think, if anything, you'll see *more* stuff from Chicago to OKC for this reason -- the towns are closer together; therefore, there are more of them.

I'd do it. You'll see a lot of neat stuff.
route66news
Road warrior
Road warrior

Lots of Stuff

Postby RoadDog » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm

In Illinois alone, you could easily spend three-four days.

You have great places to eat like Lou Mitchell's in Chicago (sorry you won't get to visit Berghoff's), to the Cozy Dog in Springfield, Ariston in Litchfield, and the Luna near the Mississippi River. Also, there's the Riviera in Gardner, Launching Pad (with Gemini Giant) in Wilmington, and Old Log Cabin in Pontiac. Nearer to Chicago, you can go to Del Rhea's or the White Fence Farms. And that's just off the top of my head.

You can definitely eat your way across the state.

I also like the long stretches where you cruise right alongside the the abandoned lanes of the four lane 66. The grain elevators are the first thing you often see when approaching towns. I love the pedestrian swinging bridges in Pontiac. Two of the most beautiful courthouses I've ever seen are in Lincoln and Pontiac.

Plus, you have to stop at the Pig Hip north of Springfield and talk with the "Old Coot on 66", Ernie Edwards. He is a Rt 66 original.

A definite stop should be made at the Abraham Lincoln Museum and Library in Springfield and stay at the Route 66 Hotel and Convention Center while in town.
Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway.---RoadDog
RoadDog
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Return to Travel