Historic Route 66 > Forum > Travel

Hookers Cut

General discussion on traveling Route 66. Ask here when to go, how long it takes, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, what not to miss etc.

Hookers Cut

Postby southwig » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:33 pm

Recently our local PBS TV station ran a feature on Route 66 in Missouri. It was well done, both interesting and informative. It was fun to revisit the palces you've seen and listen to interviews with people you've met.

Having grown up in central Illinois, literally right on 66, and having traveled much of the route in Illinois and Missouri when I was growing up, I felt I knew quite a bit about the highway. The PBS program mentioned a fact of which I was not aware. They stated that the 4 lane alignment of 66 through Hookers Cut was the first 4 lane section of 66 to be opened in Missouri, and it was the last 4 lane section in Missouri to be by passed by I-44.

I was wondering if anybody else was aware of this?
southwig
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Re: Hookers Cut

Postby Charlie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:27 pm

Seems I've also read that at one time, it was the deepest road cut in the country and it was done to facilitate traffic in and out of Fort Leonard Wood during WWII
Charlie
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby Roel66 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:01 am

I was not aware of the fact that this part was the last 4 lane part of 66 to be bypassed by the Interstate.

The Hooker Cut is one of my favorite parts of 66 (There are so many ;-)). It was great to drive on a 4 lane highway with concrete pavement and no shoulders. This is how it must have felt driving a 4 line highway in the 50's!

I drove it both ways and enjoyed it very much.
Roel66
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby Mark Booth » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:41 pm

We drove Devil's Elbow on our recent trip. I got (what I feel is) a great picture of our 5 Miatas on the bridge just past the Inn. I wanted to stop at the Inn for an early lunch but no one else was hungry yet. Ended up having lunch at the Steak & Shake in Lebanon instead.

And you're right, the 4-lane through Hookers Cut is a very cool drive.

Mark
Mark Booth
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby southwig » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:12 pm

I guess I may not have made myself completely clear. The PBS documentary did NOT say the 4 lane section of Hookers Cut was the last portion of 66 to be bypassed. That distinction goes to Williams AZ. What the documentary DID say was that the Hookers Cut section was the last section of 66 in MISSOURI to by bypassed by I-44. It was pointed out that the reason for this being the first 4 lane section was to facilitate military traffic in to Fort Leonard Wood.

I live near Springfield, MO, and my wife's side of the family lives in south central Illinois. We drive over there several times a year, and I usually turn off I-44 to drive this section. I never get tired of it.
southwig
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby Roel66 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Yes I understood you were talking about 66 in Missouri, but it's good you made it clear :-)
Roel66
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Return to Travel