Historic Route 66 > Forum > Travel

Camping along Route 66

General discussion on traveling Route 66. Ask here when to go, how long it takes, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, what not to miss etc.

Camping along Route 66

Postby bitner » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:59 pm

I know it's a rather broad question, but I am curious to know if there are some real standout campgrounds along Route 66? I am primarily interested in anything starting in Oklahoma and continuing west. I don't mind wandering off 66 a bit. Any information or links would be appreciated.
bitner
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Camping along Route 66

Postby JND » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:39 pm

Hello,

I can't help you first hand with respect to camping, as I'm not a camper. But I might have a link for you that could offer some help. See Ron's list of (near) Route 66 campgrounds and search this forum for others who have posted messages regarding same.

Also, see this topic for other suggestions.

Jeff
JND
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby bitner » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:46 am

I will check it out.

Thanks Jeff!
bitner
Rookie
Rookie

Postby paristempo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:01 am

what kind of camping are you interested in doing?

(btw, definitely reference the link JND provided... that is a well-researched and pretty extensive list of campgrounds very close to Route 66)

but if you are interested in doing more primitive tent camping, there are places beyond Ron's list, on public lands where you can camp independently. during our trip we found that if you are determined to do the entire route camping along the way, it is possible (but you must be prepared for primitive tent camping in some locations, as you will be accessing Bureau of Land Management areas, where you can legally camp, but there are no defined "campgrounds")... for our trip, we camped much of the way, with the occasion hotel/motel stopover for the "amenities"... our "rule of thumb" was to do 3 nights camping then a night in hotel/motel...
we finally got our kicks, summer 2010! follow our adventure at:
http://www.greatamericanroadtrip2010.com
paristempo
Road warrior
Road warrior

Postby TheEditor » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Good point. Here's information on primitive (backpack) camping in the backcountry of the Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona, if that happens to be your cup of tea.

http://www.nps.gov/pefo/planyourvisit/backpacking.htm
"Kick out your motor and drive
While you're still alive,
Kick it out!"

— Heart, "Kick It Out"
TheEditor
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby route66world » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:30 pm

You also might want to check with some of the RV parks along the route to see if they will allow you to 'pitch a tent' (had to say it!! :shock: ) - Depending on their season, they might be needing to fill a few slots and would be happy to take you...
Ed
Route 66 World - Everything Route 66!
Visit us at http://www.route66world.com
Updated daily!
Route 66: 'once you drive part of it - you'll want to drive all of it!'
route66world
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby wick7234 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:53 am

but if you are interested in doing more primitive tent camping, there are places beyond Ron's list, on public lands where you can camp independently. during our trip we found that if you are determined to do the entire route camping along the way, it is possible (but you must be prepared for primitive tent camping in some locations, as you will be accessing Bureau of Land Management areas, where you can legally camp, but there are no defined "campgrounds")... for our trip, we camped much of the way, with the occasion hotel/motel stopover for the "amenities"... our "rule of thumb" was to do 3 nights camping then a night in hotel/motel...

Any info on the places on public lands or Bureau of Land Management areas?
wick7234
Rookie
Rookie

Postby swa » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:38 am

You find tons of information on the many aspects of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) at their website: http://www.blm.gov/
swa
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby southwig » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:21 pm

I can recommend the Good Sam Park in Grants NM. I last stayed there in 2006. The park was well maintained, with shower and laundry facilities, the rates were reasonable, and the staff was courteous and helpful.
southwig
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Return to Travel