Historic Route 66 > Forum > Travel

Interstate vs. Original route

General discussion on traveling Route 66. Ask here when to go, how long it takes, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, what not to miss etc.

Interstate vs. Original route

Postby sdtumbleweed » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:26 am

Greetings all!! I am a new member and my bucket list includes driving Rte 66 East to West.

I have reviewed several sites on Rte 66. Wondering if there is a on-line site that depicts which sections are original and which have been replaced by Interstates. Ideally, I am looking for something that depicts the Interstate exits/mile markers where you exit an Interstate and enter an original section, then where you must return to an Interstate..

Anyone know of something like that? :D
sdtumbleweed
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Interstate vs. Original route

Postby sdtumbleweed » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:08 am

I did just read the turn-by-turn directions section, and that was pretty close to what I needed....any other input still appreciated!
sdtumbleweed
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Charlie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:25 am

I know of nothing better that is on line than the Turn by Turn section of this Forum. However, Jerry McClanahan's EZ Guide is a wealth of information on the various alignments and is considered by most to be a "must have" on a Route 66 trip. You can obtain it here:
http://www.historic66.com/books/book-ezguide.html
Charlie
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby Black85Vette » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Unfortunately it is not as simple as a route that had parts of it replaced by Interstate. Think of it more like a twisty winding road that had a much straighter route run right through the middle of it with bits and pieces on each side of the new road and no off ramp at each of the old segments. Then add to that that the origninal road was not rerouted not just once but multiple times with some of the parts never having been paved at all. Complicated? Yes, but that is part of what makes it fun to explore and navigate.

To get an idea, go over to the map on my webpage, zoom in and scroll along to see where 66 went. Since it is Google based you can zoom in and get exit numbers from it.

http://route66map.publishpath.com/google-map

I will second the vote to get the EZ66 Guide. It will get you over most of the alignments that will give you a great experience.
"Well, the road didn't cut through the land like that Interstate. It moved with the land, it rose, it fell, it curved. Cars didn't drive on it to make great time. They drove on it to have a great time."
-Sally Carrera in "Cars"
Black85Vette
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby JNB » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:34 pm

My first "Route 66 Guide Book" was Tom Snyder's "Route 66 Guide Book And Traveling Companion".

While not as detailed as Jerry Mc Clanahan's "Route 66 EZ Guide" or the various maps and "turn by turn" guides, it does have interesting reprints of 1930's AAA "Trip Tiks" (which were produced by the Automobile Club of Southern California [ACSC]) with present day Interstate Highways overlaid for comparison.

I use google maps - both the overhead satellite and street views - as another good source in tracing old-vs-present day routes.
Don't Miss Delbert Trew, Ugly Crust, Road Kill, And the Delgadillo's, too,
JNB
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby Madhouse » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:09 am

Agree totally that EZ66 is your best buy. Sit at home before your trip and read through it deciding which alignments you want to try and follow to see certain things. We highlighted the instructions we would need, paperclipped together pages that we wouldn't need at all just to make it easier to follow while driving.
It is exactly as someone else said, bits and pieces of road that one minute will be one side of the interstate, then the other, sometimes following it for miles and miles and you will be the only car on it while you watch the trucks zoom along the interstate, then your bit of road will go off into nowhere, get twisty, go through ghost towns etc, the scenery changes as you go along... amazing!
Madhouse
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby Roel66 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:34 pm

In my opinion the best resource is the Route 66 Atlas http://www.stjo66.de/
This site has very good maps with every allignment of 66, and you can see if it's drivable or not.
An example can be found here http://www.stjo66.de/images/66-IL2005_1_illustrated/Folie08.jpg and http://www.stjo66.de/images/66-NM2005-1_illustrated/Folie01.jpg
All the alligntments have differnt colours, and ramps to/from interstate are in thick black lines.
Roel66
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby Mark Booth » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:52 pm

Another vote for Jerry's EZ66 guide!

Mark
Mark Booth
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby sdtumbleweed » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:57 pm