Historic Route 66 > Forum > Travel

Las Vegas to Los Angeles via Route 66

General discussion on traveling Route 66. Ask here when to go, how long it takes, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, what not to miss etc.

Las Vegas to Los Angeles via Route 66

Postby pallaviprasadgv » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:00 pm

Hello,

I live in UK and this is the first time I am visiting USA. I plan to drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles via Route 66. However, I am unable to find routemaps for the same.

It would be great if someone could guide me/Share the route/map to travel from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. Also please share the places to see during the journey.

Looking forward for some help. :)

Many thanks.
Pallavi Prasad
pallaviprasadgv
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Las Vegas to Los Angeles via Route 66

Postby ken_bogren » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Las Vegas, Nevada isn't on RT66, so you need to get to RT 66 somehow.

The direct route from LV to LA is by taking Interstate 15. That intersects with RT 66 at Barstow, California. But that gives you a pretty short drive on RT 66.

If you take Highway 95 south out of LV it will take you to near Needles, California, where you connect with RT 66. That will give you a trip that covers almost all of RT 66 through California.
Heading out to cruise America, one old road at a time.
ken_bogren
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby swa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:38 pm

I'd take US-93 (although once after Hoover Dam it becomes boring). But it leads you to Kingman, AZ, from there you can take old Route 66 -a mountain road- to Oatman, AZ (many find that a highlight of their trip), and then onwards to Topock, AZ, Needles CA, etc. all the way to either downtown LA or Santa Monica depending on the endpoint/era of your preference.
swa
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby halogetter » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:32 am

I agree with Swa. I drove that route, and you get to see Kingman and then the classic old drive throgh the hills to Oatman and then over the Colorado River to Needles.

Don't forget to visit Chloride, AZ, on your way to Kingman! Great old town.

Halogetter
halogetter
Roadie
Roadie

Postby DeSoto driver » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:06 pm

halogetter wrote:Don't forget to visit Chloride, AZ, on your way to Kingman! Great old town.

There is a very good restaurant in Chloride, Yesterday's. A friend told us they have excellant steaks. When we got there neither one of us wanted a big meal so we opted for the fish and it was very good. Or, if you aren't there around meal time, it is a good place for a drink.
DeSoto driver
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby joy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Would definately travel from Vegas to Kingman and join route 66 from there.
Oatman is not to be missed and the road between Kingman and Oatman is something else.
We have done this route a couple of times now and its worth doing.
Personally I didn't really rate the California part of route 66 but thats my own personal opinion.
joy
Rookie
Rookie

Postby 05Glide » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:31 am

swa wrote:I'd take US-93 (although once after Hoover Dam it becomes boring). But it leads you to Kingman, AZ, from there you can take old Route 66 -a mountain road- to Oatman, AZ (many find that a highlight of their trip), and then onwards to Topock, AZ, Needles CA, etc. all the way to either downtown LA or Santa Monica depending on the endpoint/era of your preference.

SWA is absolutely correct.
My job has taken me to Arizona, Nevada and California and I've worked quite a bit between L.A & L.V..

Enjoy Your Trip
05Glide
Roadie
Roadie

Postby Big Al UK » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:11 pm

just back yesterday, SWA has it about right. You need to get Jerry McClanahan's EZ Guide to be able to navigate old Route 66 successfully. Makes it so much easier, an excellent guide and my wife would say an absolute must!

I would allow 3 days from leaving Vegas to Santa Monica Pier, we did it in 2 but had to get a shimmy on and flew past a bunch of stuff. Do not be tempted to take the short cut from Vegas and join at Barstow, you will miss some of the best parts of the complete Route 66 which is between Kingman and Barstow!

Stop at Roy's in the middle of the desert and get some gas, a drink or two, a magnet or 2 and a t-shirt, he is reasonably priced and we need to help him stay open! Fantastic couple of ole guys running the place now!
alhumphries@gmail.com for pictures!
Route 66 - 17 nights in Mar/Apr 2012, RV to Vegas & an SUV the rest of the way, loved it!
Don't knock it till you've tried it!
Big Al UK
Roadie
Roadie

Return to Travel