Historic Route 66 > Forum > Travel

La to vegas

General discussion on traveling Route 66. Ask here when to go, how long it takes, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, what not to miss etc.

La to vegas

Postby Kez » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:32 am

Hi,
My partner and I are flying to LA on the 1st of June and will be there till the 6th of June when we will drive to Vegas, I would like to go on route 66 if possible as I am a car and bike nut and plan to do the whole route 66 one day, are we able to I from la to Vegas on it? Is it easy? We will have a gps, we are getting married in Vegas so I can't do anything to stress her out more than I need to lol
Thanks in advance
Kester
Kez
Rookie
Rookie

Re: La to vegas

Postby Charlie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:40 am

Route 66 does not go to Las Vegas - it is roughly 100 miles south of Vegas. You could take it as far as Needles, CA and then head north on US 95.
Charlie
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby Kez » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:07 am

Ok, Thankyou, roughly how long would that take?
Kez
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TheEditor » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:42 am

Hi and welcome, Kez.

Needles to Las Vegas is about a 2- to 2-and-a-half-hour drive north through the desert on U.S. 95.

I once traveled it at night and was treated to one of the most amazing sights I've ever witnessed: coming over a rise (mountain? hill?) and suddenly seeing a panoramic view of Las Vegas far below me. Literally took my breath away.

Incidentally, I would suggest returning to Route 66 on the same road you took to Vegas. You could save a little time by taking U.S. 93 to Kingman, Arizona, but then you'd either miss Oatman and its wild burros (as well as Sitgreaves Pass, a mountain road with no railing) ... or have to double back to pick up that part of Route 66. And it's one of the best parts.

Get your kicks!
"Kick out your motor and drive
While you're still alive,
Kick it out!"

— Heart, "Kick It Out"
TheEditor
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby 05Glide » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:21 pm

I've driven between L.A. and Vegas 6 times.
If you want to stay on Route 66 as long as possible, then Route 66 to Kingman, Az and 93 North to Lost Wages.
If time is important, you can take Route 66 from L.A. to Barstow and then I-15 from Barstow to Vegas.

The Editor's comment about the view coming to the top and looking down on Vegas was right-on. IIRC whether you come up on 93 or 95 the view is after they both merge with 515, it's after Boulder City.

As far as time and these are rough estimates from years ago...
Depending on the traffic in and around L.A. just using the freeways, it was about 4 hours. One time did take 5+

Running Route 66 to 95 7 hours

Route 66 to 93 8+ hours
And those times were using some interstate(s), not driving exclusively on 66. If you remain on 66 it will extend the time, but well worth it.
I'd suggest taking one route to Vegas and another back.

On one of my trips out working near Barstow 6 years ago, I stayed at the Route 66 Motel just so I could say I stayed on Route 66. Ever since then I've really wanted to ride it.

Enjoy Your Visit
05Glide
Roadie
Roadie

Return to Travel