Historic Route 66 > Forum > Travel

San Fransisco and Monument Valley

General discussion on traveling Route 66. Ask here when to go, how long it takes, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, what not to miss etc.

San Fransisco and Monument Valley

Postby En Quelare » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:10 am

Hello guys!

I'm planning to do the mother road with a good friend towards the beginning of September. We want to drive it in 3 weeks with the addition of San Fransisco and perhaps Monument Valley. Does anyone have an experience with one or both of them, and if so how long must we calculate for additional travelling (and is it worth it)?

Thanx!

Michiel
En Quelare
Roadie
Roadie

Re: San Fransisco and Monument Valley

Postby swa » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:07 pm

San Francisco is less than a day away from Los Angeles (dependent on where you start and end, big city traffic isn't going to be fast).
It'll take about a day if you drive along the coast (very impressive drive), taking you though places like Big Sur, Monterey (aquarium, 17mile drive, ...), Hearst Castle, ...

Monument Valley is about 13 miles into Utah, it's a 3 to 4 hour drive from e.g. Flagstaff, AZ or Gallup, NM. I once took the sunset tour there, highly recommended.
swa
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby En Quelare » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:30 pm

We were thinking to travel instantly from Las Vegas to San fransisco to end up driving along the westcoast to L.A. I guess the travelling from Vegas to SF is approx 8-10 hours or so? And do you then pass death valley and perhaps area 51 or so?

Looking on the pics, travel time and your comment Monument Valley is on!

Thanx for the reaction!
En Quelare
Roadie
Roadie

Postby Legend_in_blue » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:04 pm

You pose a good question here.

We're spending 23 nights along Rt66 and the thought of doing San Fran and Monument Valley along the way had crossed my mind.

We've decided against it though because with everything else there is to see and do, we feel it would be rushing it a bit.

Instead, I've been thinking up next year's holiday to incorporate both San Fran and Monument Valley. Fly into LA, drive up the coast to San Fran, go across to Yosemite, then travel over to Salt Lake.

From there, travel down through Utah, visit the national parks, see Monument Valley, and drive to Vegas via Zion. Then back to LA.

3 weeks? Probably doable. The actual driving distance is roughly the same as doing rt66 straight.

What are peoples thoughts on this itinerary?

6 weeks to go and counting... holiday! :D
Legend_in_blue
Roadie
Roadie

Postby TheEditor » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:32 am

Hi and welcome, E.Q.

Regarding Area 51, you'll have to go northwest from Las Vegas to get there. It'll probably add at least a couple of hours to your trip to San Francisco, but on the other hand, it's a fun and sometimes fascinating place to go.

I'm referring, of course, to Rachel, Nevada, not the military base itself, which you're not going to get into unless you have a great deal more security clearance than I do. Still, you can stop at the Little A'Le'Inn and order an Alien Burger ... and even stay at one of the trailers they use as lodgings.

At night, the thing to do is drive south about 17 miles to the site of the so-called "Black Mailbox." It's white now, but the place is like a big, flat parking lot, and it affords a view between two mountains.

Naturally, there's no guarantee you'll see anything strange, but on the other hand, a couple of my buddies and I have spotted flying objects over the base that are definitely not commercial flights. (Could be top-secret military aircraft, however.)

I could also tell you the story of a California science teacher and his two boys who came to the Black Mailbox with a so-called "UFO Detector" that supposedly measured changes in the magnetic field or something to that effect. Well, lo and behold, the thing went off, and right after that, we saw a couple of objects flying high overhead. Again, I'm not saying they were extraterrestrial, but since no commercial aircraft are allowed to fly over the base, it couldn't have come from the Northwest Airlines fleet.

Incidentally, the A'Le'Inn is an experience in itself -- people from all over the world drop by. And there's a marker outside that honors the movie "Independence Day" (several actors from the film came to Rachel to do publicity).

Enjoy the trip ... whichever way you decide to go. And feel free to ask me for more details on Area 51; I've been to Rachel three times.
"Kick out your motor and drive
While you're still alive,
Kick it out!"

— Heart, "Kick It Out"
TheEditor
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby swa » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:13 am

I'd try not to skip the Mohave part of Route 66 in California. But I obviously understand the attractions of all the other sites and sights out there as well.

So take care not to miss: Oatman, AZ; the bridges over the Colorado; Needles, CA; the Goffs schoolhouse; the Alphabetically named places (some aren't on the map at all nowadays) that once were railroad stops: Amboy, Bolo, Cadiz, Danby, Essex, Fenner, Goffs, Homer, ... ; The real (little but a tree left) Bagdad, of cult movie fame; The "new" bagdad cafe in Newberry Springs; Barstow; Victorville; ...
swa
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby TheEditor » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:30 am

I'm definitely a fan of Oatman and what I've seen of the California desert communities. One option you could pursue, if you're going to be in Vegas for a few days and want to see Area 51, is to stay on Route 66 as far as Needles, California, then swing north on U.S. 95. There's a magical view of Las Vegas when you come over a rise and see the entire city in the valley below, but it's best to hit it after dark.

Anyway, once you're settled in Vegas, you could head to Rachel, Nevada, as a day trip and/or a one-day overnight trip (since you might be staying up late, staring at the sky) if you don't mind spending the night in a Rachel trailer. Or just return to Vegas -- but be warned, it's a two and a half hour trip, and if you're already sleepy, it can be risky to try to keep your eyes open for so long in such a bleak environment.

When you're done in Vegas, you could head back south and pick up Route 66 in Needles, taking it to the Pacific Ocean and then veering toward San Francisco. Actually, the trip to San Fran from Rachel, Nevada, is much less direct and might involve about the same amount of time as the alternative I just described anyway. So Vegas and Area 51 would become a side trip from Route 66.

Oh, and if you're looking for more info on Area 51, check out these Rachel, Nevada, links:
http://www.dreamlandresort.com/
http://www.rachel-nevada.com/
"Kick out your motor and drive
While you're still alive,
Kick it out!"

— Heart, "Kick It Out"
TheEditor
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Return to Travel