Historic Route 66 > Forum > Events & News

Giant Soda Pop Store in Oklahoma

Discussions about Route 66 related events and news
Forum rules
No self promotion allowed at all, use the appropriate contact forms instead of posting promotional material in the forums.

Giant Soda Pop Store in Oklahoma

Postby TheEditor » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:14 pm

I just mentioned the wacky Roadside America Web site in a different post -- it's a great site for finding strange and kitschy tourist attractions across America.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com

But get this: A guy in Arcadia, Oklahoma, is building a giant store called Pops, and it's going to sell hundreds of varieties of soft drinks. And it's located right on Route 66.

http://roadsideamerica.com/tnews/NewsIt ... trId=16081

It'll be marked with a giant soda pop bottle. On the negative side, he apparently bought out some mom 'n' pop businesses and bulldozed them, according to one source. On the positive side, he wants to put Arcadia on the map ... and the giant pop bottle reminds me of a lot of the old marketing ploys from the heyday of Route 66.

Anyway, it's not open yet, but apparently will be in August (hopefully). Save your thirst for Arcadia.
TheEditor
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby swa » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:55 pm

I hope those visiting Arcadia, OK remember that Arcadia (and surroundings) are the territory of a sheriff with no tolerance whatsoever for speeding, parking on the wrong spot or anything else that might be considered a no-no in his (very strict) view of the law.

It's basically one big speed trap. The fines are high out there, so take care!
swa
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby Emily » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:57 am

Y'know, that bit about Aubrey buying some businesses and knocking them down might be true, but I can't for the life of me remember what was out there before he came in.
"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy
Emily
Rookie
Rookie

It's Open!!

Postby RoadDog » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Definitely a stop the next time through. A welcome addition to 66, which has always grown and changed since it began.
Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway.---RoadDog
RoadDog
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby halogetter » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:16 pm

We just passed the new Pops site in OK on our trip down 66 which we completed last week. The opening has been delayed for some time, but it looked almost ready to go, and I believe the sign said the grand opening would be some time in August.

There has been a lot of press about the place in 66 Pulse and other sources.

When we approached the site in the evening, the scale of it was enormous and quite a shock, with the huge pop bottle and cantilevered truss roof out over the gas pumps. It certainly wasn't in any of our books!

But I think that it's great to see new construction on highway 66, possibly creating future historic sites and must-stops. It's certainly a "Giant Alert!"

Peace,
Halogetter
halogetter
Roadie
Roadie

Re: Giant Soda Pop Store in Oklahoma

Postby JND » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't believe in "new" icons. Meaning, if it's not part of the "original" 66, but instead, a tourist novelty set up solely to call attention to itself at the expense of Route 66 "lore and lure", it should be treated as such, and in my case, completely ignored.

Similarly, the "new" Lucille's, which I wouldn't patronize. Had Lucille been alive and open for business, you bet I'd have stopped, sat, listened and spent money. But a new "diner" with the same name? It's not the same, and this rose isn't just another name, it's another flower entirely.

With respect to "Pops", it was under construction when we passed in 2007. And we would have passed right by it if it were open.

What are your thoughts on new business looking for "Route 66 fame and glory"?
JND
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby swa » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:12 am

I'm most likely a bit more in the middle.
I e.g. don't mind the new Lucille's all that much as I know the current owner of the original keeps it maintained and accessible. This of course costs money to do, and well he earns money elsewhere: the new lucille's ...
One could argue to use the old place, but unfortunately it would not be up to our current expectations and regulations to operate with a profit without significant changes to the original, most likely destroying a lot of it's originality in the process.
The best solution for such places that simply can't be operational anymore, could -depend on the specifics- be to turn them in a museum like state.

But when at the display in Washington DC my heart nearly broke when I saw the neon sign of Lucille's in a museum and not in Oklahoma on the old building where it belongs in my mindset.

Similarly you can freeze a place in a certain era and make sure you lock it there and maintain that state, even keeping the patina it acquired over time and not painting it in bright new colors. It makes a lot of sense to do it with places like Roys' in Amboy today.
But if they had done that in let's say the 50s, we would not have a place like Roy's as it was built into what it is today in many phases, with the sign that we now see as iconic being erected in February 1959.

So no: one can create new attractions using today's architecture. Just make sure it's unique and not interfering with it's neighbors. If Pops would have been right next to the round bar, that would be much less acceptable to me than where it is today.
But one should not fill up all available roadside space, leave some room for future generations to do their thing too. Similarly, one pops is enough, find something else, unique in itself for somewhere else.
swa
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Postby JND » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:03 am

I see your point and counter-point and you make a valid case for each.

I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a purist, but I wouldn't cast my anchor on every novelty simply because of its address. Me, I need substance. I need some sense of establishment. Because to me, it's not just the PLACE, it's a combination of the place, and the PEOPLE behind it. The people who were bypassed and have been struggling ever since, or the new owners of an old icon trying to keep it alive under trying conditions in an awful economy.

However, having stated my opinion, I'll close simply by agreeing to disagree and leave it at that.

:-)
JND
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby Mark Booth » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:23 am

I see "Pops" as one more curiosity/attraction along a long road filled with attractions. The presence of Pops doesn't bother me any more than a new Travelodge or Best Western opening along The Mother Road. Things change.

But just because they change doesn't mean it destroys the historic parts of Route 66 that are left to be enjoyed. It only means we need to get off our butts and enjoy those too, before they are gone. The more time, energy and money we spend enjoying them, the longer they will remain in business or existence for future generations to enjoy.

I don't think anyone would thumb their noses at a certain barber shop in Seligman that is now a giant gift shop/tourist trap. It's part of the flavor of the road today. I don't see Pops as being any different, even if it is a brand new building. It's all part of Route 66's evolution.

Mark
Mark Booth
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby JND » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:34 pm

Mark Booth wrote:I don't think anyone would thumb their noses at a certain barber shop in Seligman that is now a giant gift shop/tourist trap. It's part of the flavor of the road today. I don't see Pops as being any different, even if it is a brand new building. It's all part of Route 66's evolution. Mark

Okay, I can't help myself... I'll just say this... LOL

I wouldn't compare the history of Angel Delgadillo to the history of "Pops". While both may be part of the "flavor", only one has faced the struggles that turned a legitimate business into a tourist attraction -- and with good and valid reason, in my opinion.

I don't deny the route's inevitable evolution. I do question however, the "worthiness" of new establishments along the route looking to make a name for themselves at the expense of those who almost lost everything when they were bypassed.

The only thing that will bypass Pops will be my 2003 Chevy Venture :-)
JND
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Postby Rogue » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:06 am

We stop at "Pops" every time we're thru Arcadia.
Be it in the '93LE Miata, '62 Thunderbird, or soon the '59 Edsel.
I don't even think of it as a Route 66 icon, but its way better than a C-store.
and they have Dublin Dr Pepper on tap.
Rogue
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JND » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:25 pm

Guess who now owns the most premiere, prestigious and sought after (and expensive) "66 domain" in the world? And how does that make you feel (if anything)?
JND
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Return to Events & News