Historic Route 66 > Forum > Travel

Rent a car

General discussion on traveling Route 66. Ask here when to go, how long it takes, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, what not to miss etc.

Rent a car

Postby g.Macrae » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:14 am

Hi,

I'm from france and we plan with 5 other friends to visit the 66 road.
We would like to rent 2 convertible for our trip but I couldn't find any to take in Chicago and to let in los angeles.

Does anyone has already rent a car like this? or get a car rental location?

Thanks for all informations.

Greg
g.Macrae
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Damon » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:49 pm

Any of the larger car rental companies will allow you to do this.
In the Lonely Planet Guide to Route 66 they recommend Alamo

http://www.alamo.com

They are suppose to be the cheapest out of the large rental companies.
They also have convertibles, if that is what you're looking for.

Some advice about renting a car in the US can be found here;
http://dominic.kelly.site.net.au/rental%20tips.htm

Bon chance!!!
Damon
Rookie
Rookie

Postby g.Macrae » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:53 pm

Thanks for response, I've read the information about renting a car in US.

But I had still try with ALamo and as all the larger car rental companies they didn't propose converts from Chicago on theire websites.

So I still need informations if anyone has already done this or knows how to find a convertible from Chicago to Los Angeles.
g.Macrae
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kimmipea » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:08 pm

Me and my other half have been trying to hire a convertable for our trip in June - and its a no goer for us so far :(

We are detoring at the end of the 66 to go to Vegas and then onto San Fran - and we were told they wouldn't be able to find anyone to drive that type of car back to Chicago and would need transporting (?) and so they said no..

We are gutted!
kimmipea
Roadie
Roadie

Postby swa » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:07 pm

That australian site offers some advise that in my experience is far less needed in recent years. The rental agencies website will ask you where you live mostly and if you live in places that typically need the US collision and liability insurances, they will included them by default.

As for diffferences between the bigger names and the cheaper brands mentioned, do check that liability insurance for the maximum amount they cover, and do remember courts in the US will readily grant gigantic
amounts compared to European courts. You do want that insurance.

Personally I choose between Hertz and Avis based on price and make sure I get unlimited miles on it. This latter is handy when doing Route 66.

I just tried it and it seems they indeed claim to have no availability of convertibles on one-way trips, while you can rent them on when returning the car in the same location. Perhaps best to call Avis/Hertz/... locally, they might be able to assist you better.

If you consiter to rent one-way keep in mind it costs often about 1000$ drop-off fee. Often it's cheaper to drive it back if you have the time (4 days is comfortable on the Interstates).

I understand the dream of drivign a convertible, but are you sure you do want to spend the additional money? In June it gets hot out in the desert and you'll find yourself driving it with the top on, just to get the shade and the airconditioning working.

Get Your Kicks!
swa
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

rent car

Postby bertha » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:35 pm

You might try contacting National Car Hire in your own area.
We have a car booked from them though not a convertible going one way LA to Chicago, drop of fee is only $199. Total cost for two weeks $735.00 inclusive of all taxes ins. and fees and we don't pay until we are in America! We even got a discount on that price once we actually booked, worked out at £336 (UK). We had been quoted some horific drop of fees anything from $500-1000.
Good luck hope you find a car to your liking, wish we were doing it in a converible but cost would probably be too high!
bertha
Roadie
Roadie

Postby g.Macrae » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:35 pm

Thanks a lot for all informations .. even if the dream will probably not become true...

We aren't affraid of sun we've already done florida and FWI in convertible but it seems to be really too expensive. :cry:

The thing I actually don't understand is that travel companies are providing packages (flight+car+...) whith convertible...so I must find how they manage to get the cars.

A Bientot :D

Greg
g.Macrae
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lynn1 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:17 pm

Hi
This is a question for Bertha.
I am planning a trip from Chicago to LA and I can only get car hire prices with $500+ supplement. You mentioned National Car Hire - can I find them online and if not, is there one in Edinburgh I can contact?

Lynn
Lynn1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bertha » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:28 pm

Hi Lynne
Phone 0870 400 4581. They were very helpful. Another travel site had told me about there low one way drop off fee and I phoned to check on it as I too had been quoted $500-$1000 just for the one way never mind the car hire. The chap I spoke to said yes there would only be a $199 fee over and above the rental would I like a quote. He came up with $735.OO and said if I found the flights I was looking for he would discount again if I phoned back and asked for him. In the end we will pay approx. £336.00 and you don't pay a penny until you have the car, whether that will be at the beginning or end of our trip I don't know. That is only for an intermediate size car, though in the past we have managed to get free upgrades. Contact me by e-mail if you like its b.henretty.2@blueyonder.co.uk
Good luck
Bertha
bertha
Roadie
Roadie

Postby bertha » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:27 am

For Lynn
As well as previous info, try http://www.connectionsworldwide.co.uk
they do a flydrive with or without accommodation if you ask, we had a great quote from them but had to let it go as they couldn't give us the dates we wanted. No one way drop off fee for car either. They don't advertise it on the site, just a complete deal but they do say they will do tailor made. Car & fights for us was working out at about £1500 for 2, that included an additional flight to Miami on the way back. We couldnt take up their offer as they didn't have availability left by the time we got round to organising and had decided we needed to go the weekend before our original quote. They are very helpful and you can do it all on the phone. We ended up paying much the same by getting flights with UnitedVacations (though we had to book 3 nights accommodation) and the car hire from National.
sorry for using this post but didn't want to start another just incase Lynn had flagged to be contacted re this one.
Regards
Bertha
bertha
Roadie
Roadie

Convertible Rental Chicago - LA

Postby rexmac » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:45 pm

I like many it would appear, have been trying to find a company that would rent a convertible Chicago - LA.
Fond a classic car rental in St Loius that would rent a 60's convertible for $175 USD per day, plus I would have to organise to truck it back -- all up out of my buget.
However I found an Australian agent who can do this with Dollar Car Rentals.
(can't do it direct with Dollar, or via email!), I now have a confirmed booking for a Chrysler Sebring convertible confirmed for 3 weeks starting July 11.

http://www.drivetravel.com/carrent/alam ... fusa.shtml

(There is a one way fee of $500USD).
rexmac
Rookie
Rookie

hi !

Postby raphaeld » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:04 pm

I have rent a 4x4 with hertz in may for 22 days.
I'll take it in Chicago and leave it in LA.
I paid about 1500 euros, taxes included.
Raphaël (France)
raphaeld
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Dwight » Sun May 08, 2005 3:31 am

I would not consider going through from west Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and southern California with a convertible in the summer. Even though you might use a convertible in Florida, remember that in the Southwest humidity is almost non-existent, and through much of the trip you are at a fairly high altitude; ie. thinner air, more sun!!!
As far as not dropping off, why don't you consider going one way across the northern part of the country, and returning on the south, depending where you are starting your trip from. I can assure you that if you want the ultimate in scenery, you couldn't go wrong doing it this way.
Dwight
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Return to Travel