American Indians and Route 66

Frequently asked questions for the travel section.
swa
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

American Indians and Route 66

Post by swa » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:34 pm

Tribal lands can be a challenge to those of us unfamiliar with their customs, laws, beliefs etc.

The AIANTA (American Indian Alaska Native Tourism Association) and the Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program of the NPS have published a guide to help us with that.

It's available for viewing online and has a companion website as well.

kjosker
Roadie
Roadie

Re: American Indians and Route 66

Post by kjosker » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:30 am

As in all of life, be respectful of all humans, their property, and their customs and beliefs. Do not treat them as exhibits. Do not to hesitate to engage them in conversation. Request permission to photograph anything or anyone. Maybe do some research before a trip, so that you can ask pertinent questions.

About twenty years ago, I was traveling just off Route 66 on the Ramah Navajo Reservation, south of Gallup, in the winter time. There was a big freeze with a small amount of snow. Due to the ice, I slid off the road and became stuck. The Reservation police arrived, and called for a tow truck. It arrived, and and he had trouble pulling me out due to the icy conditions. The three of us, me, the police officer, and the tow truck driver worked together and finally got it out. We were frozen. Having just passed a cafe back on the highway, I simply stated, "Let's go get warmed up, I'm buying breakfast." They accepted, and enjoying the warmth of the cafe, I truly believe we became friends.

Bagdad Cafe

Percy Adlon, Eleonore Adlon, Christopher Doherty

19.98 USD

The Grapes of Wrath

John Steinbeck, Robert DeMott

9.37 USD

Cars - soundtrack

Randy Newman, James Taylor, Rascal Flatts, Sheryl Crow, Brad Paisley, The Chords, Chuck Berry, John Mayer, Hank Williams

8.68 USD

All purchases are performed at amazon.com