The Summit Inn Restaurant destroyed by fire

Discussions about Route 66 related events and news
Forum rules
No self promotion allowed at all, use the appropriate contact forms instead of posting promotional material in the forums.
Mark Booth
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

The Summit Inn Restaurant destroyed by fire

Post by Mark Booth » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:51 am

I am very sad to report that The Summit Inn Restaurant in Hesperia, CA (San Bernardino County, I-15 at Oak Hill Road) has been destroyed by wildfire. Here's a photo someone posted to The Summit Inn's Facebook page about 1 hour ago (the burning structure is what is left of The Summit Inn):

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KHR ... HRQzbw.jpg

A Summit Inn employee posted to the restaurant's Facebook page that they were being evacuated due to the fire. That was about 3 hours ago. 2 hours later, the restaurant was gone.

The Bluecut fire started today on the west side of I-15 down fairly close to Cleghorn Rd, where you exit I-15 to continue Route 66 on Cajon Blvd. The fast-moving blaze has already burned about 10,000 acres.

Frequent Route 66 travelers are likely familiar with the McDonald's restaurant on Wagon Wheel Rd, a dead-end alignment of Route 66 at the Cajon Pass/Hwy 139 exit from I-15. The McDonald's was also damaged by fire, but last I heard the structure was saved. It will almost certainly be closed for some time for repairs.

I've enjoyed a good hearty breakfast at The Summit Inn more times than I can count. We were planning to eat there again next month when we launched our next Route 66 adventure. This is a very sad day!

Mark
Last edited by Mark Booth on Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mark Booth
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Re: The Summit Inn Restaurant destroyed by fire

Post by Mark Booth » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:06 am

The Summit Inn posted this news helicopter image to their Facebook page. Center and to the left (south) is the home that was immediately behind The Summit Inn. Center and to the right is the restaurant.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Rhf ... hfJfDT.jpg

Mark

backroads
Roadie
Roadie

Post by backroads » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:28 am

Oh gosh that's awful.

rkarl89203
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Post by rkarl89203 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Really really sad....we were going to make that one of our California stops on our electric car trip down the road this coming March. When we drove past in our rental car this last February we skipped stopping there, thinking we could stop there on our trip in March.
Just glad everyone got out all right. This is a huge loss.....

Mark Booth
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Post by Mark Booth » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:03 pm

The Los Angeles Times posted raw video of the Summit Inn in flames.

http://bcove.me/otco4mp1

Mark

rkarl89203
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Post by rkarl89203 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:59 pm

The more I see that the sadder I feel.

Boris
Road warrior
Road warrior

Post by Boris » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:02 am

This is devistating, but good news that they plan to re-build.

It's not going to be easy to replace that same feeling but I'm sure they'll make a go of it.

Wanted33
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Post by Wanted33 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:44 pm

Boris wrote:This is devistating, but good news that they plan to re-build.

It's not going to be easy to replace that same feeling but I'm sure they'll make a go of it.
Very sad to see the Summit was lost. But, it's good news indeed that they will rebuild.
"Route 66 is the destination, the rest is icing on the cake"

Peoria Man
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Peoria Man » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:40 pm

Saw it on the ABC national news. Recognized it right away.... Probably the first time I ever recognized a place they showed during coverage of a fire. Sad, but hopeful for it since they are going to rebuild! Never been in there but recognized it after many drive-bys when I visit Cal.

Black85Vette
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Post by Black85Vette » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:25 pm

Very sad to hear the news. I used to live in Riverside and the Summit was a frequent meeting place on Saturdays to go dirt bike riding in the high desert after a great breakfast. Lots of great memories around the Victorville area.
"Well, the road didn't cut through the land like that Interstate. It moved with the land, it rose, it fell, it curved. Cars didn't drive on it to make great time. They drove on it to have a great time."
-Sally Carrera in "Cars"

Mark Booth
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Post by Mark Booth » Fri May 19, 2017 9:30 pm

My wife and I drove by the site of the Summit Inn restaurant on Sunday. As best we could tell from I-15 southbound, there is absolutely zero construction going on. The site has been cleaned up (no rubble) but we didn't see any signs of any new construction.

More concerning, just south of the spot where the restaurant sat, we noticed a lot for sale sign attached to the chainlink fence facing I-15. It was difficult to be certain, but my gut is telling me the sign is for the lot where the restaurant sat. I have a feeling the family has decided NOT to rebuild.

Anyone have any specifics or updates?

Mark

Cars - soundtrack

Randy Newman, James Taylor, Rascal Flatts, Sheryl Crow, Brad Paisley, The Chords, Chuck Berry, John Mayer, Hank Williams

8.68 USD

The Grapes of Wrath

John Steinbeck, Robert DeMott

9.37 USD

All purchases are performed at amazon.com