Severe weather in Oklahoma

General discussion on traveling Route 66. Ask here when to go, how long it takes, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, what not to miss etc.
Black85Vette
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Severe weather in Oklahoma

Post by Black85Vette » Thu May 18, 2017 5:13 pm

This afternoon and tomorrow western / central Oklahoma is at high risk for severe weather with tornadoes likely. If you are traveling in the state watch the weather reports. Along with tornadoes is also the threat of hail up to softball size. Being in a car during one of these storms is not safe. Being in a major metro area is not a good idea because traffic gets crazy, you can get stuck and unable to get out of the way. Not to be scary but just stay alert.
"Well, the road didn't cut through the land like that Interstate. It moved with the land, it rose, it fell, it curved. Cars didn't drive on it to make great time. They drove on it to have a great time."
-Sally Carrera in "Cars"

JNB
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Re: Severe weather in Oklahoma

Post by JNB » Thu May 18, 2017 11:28 pm

Black85Vette wrote:This afternoon and tomorrow western / central Oklahoma is at high risk for severe weather with tornadoes likely. If you are traveling in the state watch the weather reports. Along with tornadoes is also the threat of hail up to softball size. Being in a car during one of these storms is not safe. Being in a major metro area is not a good idea because traffic gets crazy, you can get stuck and unable to get out of the way. Not to be scary but just stay alert.
Oklahoma is in the notorious "Tornado Alley."
I spent 36 weeks in OKC attending an FAA Computer Course. But I was lucky. The worst was sleet, snow and freezing rain during Winter.
There have been reports of grapefruit size hail and totnadoes.
If Route 66 is your avenue -
Don't miss a chat
Fer Shore With Mister Delbert Trew !

And for the heights
Of your days and nights
Remember the Daffy Delgadillo's !

You can take your picks,
But you can get your kicks
On Route Sixty-Six !

Black85Vette
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Post by Black85Vette » Fri May 19, 2017 1:10 am

We have the National Weather Service Severe Storms Lab here and all the TV stations have excellent state of the art radar. Most towns have sirens that sound warnings in plenty of time to take cover. The joke around here is that you can pick out an "Okie" because when the sirens go off the locals go out in the street to see if they can spot the tornado. :shock:

Weather calms down as the evening temps drop. Somewhat quieter now but more storms due tomorrow, just not as much of a tornado threat.
"Well, the road didn't cut through the land like that Interstate. It moved with the land, it rose, it fell, it curved. Cars didn't drive on it to make great time. They drove on it to have a great time."
-Sally Carrera in "Cars"

DaveG1951
Roadie
Roadie

Post by DaveG1951 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:54 pm

We have been passing through Oklahoma for the last 3 days (West to East or South to North, depending on your perspective) and the weather has been really bad. We left Elk City, at about 1200 on Wednesday, and by the time we reached Oklahoma City about 5 hours later, Elk City had been hit by a tornado that flatted 110 houses. We stopped in Clinton mid-afternoon and also heard that a smaller tornado had hit them not long after we left. Having left Flagstaff in heavy snow earlier in the trip, we were beginning to wonder whether we had upset the Weather Gods.

Whilst we were in Oklahoma City, where we spent a full day to have a break from driving, we went to the "Cowboy Museum" and the Greeter on the door, a retired Rancher, said that he had only ever seen one tornado in his whole life, and he was in his 70's. I suspect that by now he has seen some more!

Yesterday, whilst driving from Oklahoma City to Tulsa, we had dark clouds building all around us, and I posted the following on our Blog (http://www.route66.blog) for the benefit of our kids and friends:

A quick weather update. Having left Oklahoma City this morning, we are now hearing that it is expecting tornado’s this evening. Here in Tulsa we only have to worry about thunderstorms, with up to 2 inches of rain, flash floods but, on the plus side, the hail is now only expected to be golf ball size, sometimes tennis ball size. We heard a car dealership on the radio advertising bargains on hail damaged new cars!.

Later yesterday evening, from about 2000, the weather worsened and we had high winds and a torrential downpour, and our hotel lost all power for a while. This morning all the News channels were reporting the storm damage, and the weather for today which they promised would be a repeat of yesterday. This morning, we made an early start for Joplin, via the Kansas loop, and managed to stay ahead of the weather until just after 1200 when the lightening and thunder started, and about 30 minutes later the sky just collapsed! The last 5 miles or so into Joplin was horrendous with the rain coming down so heavily that 20 mph was too fast. Surface water is very deep in places so it is not hard to see why flash floods occur.

On the plus side, the Weather Reporters are optimistic that things are about to improve!

Black85Vette
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Post by Black85Vette » Fri May 19, 2017 10:24 pm

We were monitoring the Elk City storm and pretty much saw it in real time. The 3 major TV stations will have over 12 field meteorologist / spotters positioned during storms like this. They steam live video of the tornado and the damage as they pass. Radar can see a strong rotation but is not able to tell if a tornado is on the ground. You have to eyes in the field reporting back to the station. At times the tornado is "rain wrapped" and will have a curtain of rain all the way around it. They cannot be seen as they approach and all you know is a strong super cell with violent rotation is in the middle of it.

Regarding seeing a tornado; I have done weather spotting with my Ham radio club for a local TV station and even out there trying to keep an eye on the weather I have only seen wall clouds and rotating lowered areas which are the beginnings of a tornado but I have yet to see one on the ground. It is not as common as you might think. I have a storm shelter in the floor of my garage, but have only been in it once.

You certainly picked a prime time to pass through Oklahoma! Glad you got through it all OK.
-Sally Carrera in "Cars"

JNB
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Post by JNB » Sat May 20, 2017 3:11 am

Black85Vette wrote:We were monitoring the Elk City storm and pretty much saw it in real time. The 3 major TV stations will have over 12 field meteorologist / spotters positioned during storms like this. They steam live video of the tornado and the damage as they pass. Radar can see a strong rotation but is not able to tell if a tornado is on the ground. You have to eyes in the field reporting back to the station. At times the tornado is "rain wrapped" and will have a curtain of rain all the way around it. They cannot be seen as they approach and all you know is a strong super cell with violent rotation is in the middle of it.

Regarding seeing a tornado; I have done weather spotting with my Ham radio club for a local TV station and even out there trying to keep an eye on the weather I have only seen wall clouds and rotating lowered areas which are the beginnings of a tornado but I have yet to see one on the ground. It is not as common as you might think. I have a storm shelter in the floor of my garage, but have only been in it once.

You certainly picked a prime time to pass through Oklahoma! Glad you got through it all OK.
Here in Dallas, Texas the local Dallas Amateur Radio Club, W5FC, 2 Meter Repeater (146.28/146.88) is taken over by RACES and only RACES licensed stations may participate during severe weather alert times. The repeater is open to visitors at all other times, but if you are from out of town, or if you are a local ham , but not on the RACES approved list, you can monitor W5FC, but you can not check in or use the repeater during RACES operations. Other repeaters in the area are open all the time.
If Route 66 is your avenue -
Don't miss a chat
Fer Shore With Mister Delbert Trew !

And for the heights
Of your days and nights
Remember the Daffy Delgadillo's !

You can take your picks,
But you can get your kicks
On Route Sixty-Six !

The Grapes of Wrath

John Steinbeck, Robert DeMott

9.37 USD

Cars - soundtrack

Randy Newman, James Taylor, Rascal Flatts, Sheryl Crow, Brad Paisley, The Chords, Chuck Berry, John Mayer, Hank Williams

8.68 USD

All purchases are performed at amazon.com