DeSoto's on the Mother Road ?

General discussion on traveling Route 66. Ask here when to go, how long it takes, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, what not to miss etc.
DeSoto driver
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Re: DeSoto's on the Mother Road ?

Post by DeSoto driver » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:58 am

Charlie wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:25 am
If you can't, The Safari just across the street is very nice and, in fact as I recall, the rooms are a little larger.
Thanks for the tip Charlie. I checked out the Safari on line and it has excellent reviews. About $25 cheaper to. We stayed at the Blue Swallow on our second trip and it was fine but the room was small. We met the new owners on are last trip and they were very nice. Would like to support them but I bet they sell out that night anyway so I think we will try the Safari this time. Les

swa
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Post by swa » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:07 am

Just FYI the safari changed ownership in the last few days. I'd expect some continuity. But although I'm sure the new owners will do their best, the first few days might be rough on them.

Wanted33
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Post by Wanted33 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Sounds like a great trip Les. You're a braver man than I my friend. A trip on Route 66 is a journey in itself, and taking a classic car will make it an adventure like no other. We own a 1967 Camaro, and I am quite certain I wouldn't be brave enough to drive it down the old road. As good as it is I would be worried about leaving it alone in motel lot, and every little strange sound from the car would worry me to death. :D I hope your plans come together, and I look forward to a detailed report on your return.

Jim
"Route 66 is the destination, the rest is icing on the cake"

DeSoto driver
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Post by DeSoto driver » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:22 am

Jim, I only wish I was as brave as you are giving me credit for. :lol: Actually we are driving our modern car. Some are planning to drive their De Soto's but they are 1955 and newer or are modified with modern drive trains. Our old '52 would probably make the trip but we are at an age where we just don't want to risk having problems on the trip. Also, we are spoiled in our old age and don't see making the trip without air-conditioning. We did make our last Route 66 trip in our "83 Riviera convertible and had a great time but that is far less risky than doing it in a "52 and it has air. Les

Wanted33
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Post by Wanted33 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:09 pm

DeSoto driver wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:22 am
Jim, I only wish I was as brave as you are giving me credit for. :lol: Actually we are driving our modern car. Some are planning to drive their De Soto's but they are 1955 and newer or are modified with modern drive trains. Our old '52 would probably make the trip but we are at an age where we just don't want to risk having problems on the trip. Also, we are spoiled in our old age and don't see making the trip without air-conditioning. We did make our last Route 66 trip in our "83 Riviera convertible and had a great time but that is far less risky than doing it in a "52 and it has air. Les
We do tend to get used to the luxuries as you grow "more mature" my friend. Our old car has no power steering, brakes, windows, and sans air also. It is fun to drive...........for awhile. :lol:

DeSoto driver
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Post by DeSoto driver » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:46 pm

Wanted33 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:09 pm
We do tend to get used to the luxuries as you grow "more mature" my friend. Our old car has no power steering, brakes, windows, and sans air also. It is fun to drive...........for awhile
We enjoy driving the Desoto and have taken several trips in it over the 20 years we have owned it. Drove it from Michigan to Washington D.C. which was about 2,000 miles round trip, Niagara Falls about 1,200 miles, St. Paul, MN about 1,000 miles and drove Route 66 through Illinois to St. Louis about 900 miles. We never had a problem on those trips that I couldn't fix myself and drive on.

On the St. Paul trip we got hung up in a traffic jam on the Interstate on a day when the temperature was 96 degrees and the humidity about 90 percent. The thought of driving across the South and the desert in Aug. with no air just doesn't appeal to us.

DeSoto driver
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Post by DeSoto driver » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:49 pm

As we get closer to our departure date I am not surprised, but somewhat disappointed, that several who were all excited about this trip have decided not to go. We are down to about seven or eight cars and only three are Desoto's. We will be in two groups as some want to leave Aug. 12th and our group is leaving Aug. 13th.

The group leaving Aug.12th will start in Pontiac, IL with two or three modern cars. They are coming from Maryland. A couple from Florida driving a '56 Desoto will join them in Cuba, MO at the Wagon Wheel. Another couple from South Carolina in a '59 Desoto will join them in Oklahoma City.
Our group will start in Joliet with two modern cars. A couple from Wisconsin driving a '59 Desoto plan on joining us in Tulsa, OK. We may catch up with the first group in Holbrook.

The first group is going to Santa Monica and our group will leave Route 66 at Barstow and take the interstate down to San Diego.

So it isn't going to be the caravan of Desoto's we thought it would be in the beginning but it is another trip down Route 66 for us and a first time for the others.

With almost three weeks to go though I am sure this will change. Hopefully, we will pick up more Desoto's. Les

Charlie
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Post by Charlie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Sounds like great fun!! Honk as you pass through St. Louis.

hotrodfords
Roadie
Roadie

Post by hotrodfords » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:26 am

Have confidence in your car - it will make it. Cars of much less capability than '50s-60s cars were making that trip in the 30s. '50s cars are quite reliable actually. Much less to go wrong than a modern car, and the most likely stuff can be fixed with duct tape, bailing wire, electrical tape, and a collection of simple hand tools. Bring the stuff I mentioned earlier - Even if you aren't the one replacing those, if you physically have them in your possession, a mechanic can do them for you.

My dad and I just finished up a '65 Galaxy wagon (Country Sedan 6 pass, 390 3sp on the tree!) barn rescue in April. Had not been on the road since 1981. This was not a restoration - still has the original motor and trans. We did the brakes, re-gasket-ed the engine, and repaired the mechanicals that needed attention. Washed and waxed the faded paint then took off from Vegas across the Mojave to the all Ford show in LA.

Not. one. problem.

You'll be fine! Looking forward to your reports.

DeSoto driver
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Post by DeSoto driver » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:16 pm

hotrodfords wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:26 am
Have confidence in your car - it will make it. Cars of much less capability than '50s-60s cars were making that trip in the 30s. '50s cars are quite reliable actually. Much less to go wrong than a modern car, and the most likely stuff can be fixed with duct tape, bailing wire, electrical tape, and a collection of simple hand tools. Bring the stuff I mentioned earlier - Even if you aren't the one replacing those, if you physically have them in your possession, a mechanic can do them for you.
If I was twenty years younger I might be more adventurous. But, my wife and I are 76 and we have another couple traveling with us that are 78 and 81. Traveling across the Southwest and the Mojave desert in August in a 67 year old car without air conditioning is not practical for four old people when we can do it in a new car with all the modern options.

I agree that '50's cars were reliable when they were new but any car that is 67 years old is more likely to have a problem than a new one. It is true that they had less things to go wrong but those things did go wrong more often. Also true that they were easier to work on for things more likely to go wrong with them. But, if something goes wrong with my fluid drive transmission that was last used in 1953 there are very few mechanics today that would know anything about them and parts for it are not easy to find.

All things considered, we love driving the old Desoto locally and on short trips but driving it 2,500 miles from home at our age just ain't gonna happen. :lol: Les

Wanted33
Frequent traveler
Frequent traveler

Post by Wanted33 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:36 pm

I agree Les, as I get older I would rather enjoy the journey than to worry "what if" with every unusual noise I hear the car make. Our old '67 Camaro was my Dad's car, and it was a wedding gift to us. The car has been completely restored, and it great condition. However, if something does need attention finding the parts could prove problematic. Last year while spending a couple days at the Blue Swallow there was a Dad, and his son driving their old Roadster, and the ignition coil went out. They were with us two extra days waiting on parts. They took it in stride as we all would have to do, but I would rather not have the inconvenience. :)

JNB
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Post by JNB » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:18 am

hotrodfords wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:26 am

My dad and I just finished up a '65 Galaxy wagon (Country Sedan 6 pass, 390 3sp on the tree!) barn rescue in April. Had not been on the road since 1981. This was not a restoration - still has the original motor and trans. We did the brakes, re-gasket-ed the engine, and repaired the mechanicals that needed attention. Washed and waxed the faded paint then took off from Vegas across the Mojave to the all Ford show in LA.

Not. one. problem.

You'll be fine! Looking forward to your reports.
If it's any consolation or assurance, you might look up the experiences of those "Five Baby Austins On The Mother Road" in their trip in September, 2006. They made the trip with out any major troubles and their cars were all of 1930's vintage.

I had the opportunity of meeting with them and visiting with them for a few days. They were stopping over in Claremore, Oklahoma. I only went with them "on the road" from Claremore to Oklahoma City. I think one member had some minor trouble which he took care of himself, but I don't remember them having any major problems during my visit.

And they had been on many other trips in many different parts of the world with those old "Austin 7's ".
If Route 66 is your avenue -
Don't miss a chat
Fer Shore With Mister Delbert Trew !

And for the heights
Of your days and nights
Remember the Daffy Delgadillo's !

You can take your picks,
But you can get your kicks
On Route Sixty-Six !

DeSoto driver
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Post by DeSoto driver » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Tomorrow morning we get up early and start our cruise down Route 66 on our way to the National De Soto Club convention in San Diego. We are starting at Joliet with three couples in two modern cars. We plan to meet another couple in Tulsa driving their '59 De Soto.

There is another group leaving today from Pontiac, IL but I haven't heard from them in a couple of days so I am not sure where they are. They should have at least two De Soto's in that group but the De Soto's wont join them until St. Louis and Oklahoma City.

I will try to post our progress every couple of days.

Getting excited about our fourth trip down Route 66 and meeting friends from all over that we only get to see once a year at the convention. Les

DeSoto driver
Route 66 veteran
Route 66 veteran

Post by DeSoto driver » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:14 am

This is our first chance to update since we left Joliet Sunday. In Tucumcari tonight. Things are going fairly good. Seeing most of the usual stops that we have seen before and a couple that we missed on our other trips. Les

The Grapes of Wrath

John Steinbeck, Robert DeMott

9.00 USD

The Route 66 Encyclopedia

Jim Hinckley

29.70 USD

All purchases are performed at amazon.com